BY ENORE OYAKHIRE
Being positive is a choice. We live in a world where toxicity and negativity are easier to dwell on than positivity. It is left for you to choose what way to follow.
Below are 6 simple tips to protecting your inner peace:
1. Avoid comparing yourself to others- One thing is sure as night and day… everybody’s path is different. Situations may make you think that a flaw you possess is an obstacle but the day you realize that it is what makes you unique is the day you start to think of it as a strength. Take cognizance of the fact that you have come thus far; focus on your goals one step at a time and protect your mind from the din.
2. Check in with your instincts- Most times, people ignore their gut feelings only to regret it later. If you really do not feel like something is right, take a step back, analyze the entire situation and decide based on that. Never let anyone force you to do something you don’t want to do.
3. Change your attitude to set your altitude- It is true that we cannot control situations surrounding us, but we can control our attitude towards them. As Maya Angelou gracefully said: “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” Simply put: Your attitude controls your altitude!
4. Cut off toxicity- A healthy mind breeds healthy thoughts. How do you then cultivate these thoughts? By cutting off the weeds and giving room for your ideas to germinate. The weeds represent toxicity and its sources. It comes in different forms like your comfort zone, words, environment and so on. Learn to spot and trace these weeds before it spreads and causes havoc.
5. Speak kindly to yourself and to other people- “Kind words never hurt nobody”. Be kind to others for you do not know what they are going through and try not to be hard on yourself. It destroys self-confidence and happiness.
It also helps to practise positive affirmations consistently, nothing like spreading positive energy!
6. Get the right balance- It is a good thing to show love, help and support others but never do this to the detriment of your happiness, finances or life. Always make time for yourself and make sure you’re in a good mental space before helping others.
How many of these key tips will you be following?